The Lorraine Apartments
Designed and constructed between 1892 and 1893 by architect Willis G. Hale, the Lorraine Apartments is one of the most luxurious and best preserved late 19th-century apartment houses in Philadelphia
Now The Lorraine Hotel
In 1900 the building became the Lorraine Hotel when the Metropolitan Hotel Company purchased the apartments
Father Divine, leader and head of the Divine Peace Mission Movement, acquired the building in 1948 from the Metropolitan Hotel Company, renaming it the Divine Lorraine Hotel.
Divine no more
Father Divine passes away
50 Years of Mission
Over the preceding fifty years, the Divine Lorraine Hotel served as the center of the Peace Mission’s international religious, civil rights and social welfare activities.
The Divine Closes
Hope for the Lorraine
In May 2006 it was resold to Lorraine Hotel LP. to be converted into apartments. Development never came to fruition.
In October 2012 the property was transferred to developer Eric Blumenfeld
In February 2015 the developer announced renovation plans to convert the building into rental units with restaurants on the ground level
The Divine Lorraine Hotel Returns
By the end of 2016 the Divine Lorraine Hotel will be fully operational boasting 101 apartments and bustling lobby with restaurants and retail.